SSL_Error_rx_record_too_long – The Trouble Shooting Guide
A step-by-step guide to fixing SSL_Error_rx_Record_too_long
If you are reading this article, you probably encountered the message SSL Error rx record too long on Mozilla Firefox and want to fix it.
In this article , we will give you an overview of why you are confronted with the message SSL Error rx record too long and how to fix it.
What is the SSL_Error_rx_record_too_long Error?
SSL Error rx record too long is an error which occurs on Mozilla Firefox only. It is quite a common mistake and it happens because of problems with the SSL certificate. This error occurs when the port to which a client connects is opened on the server but the SSL certificate is not configured correctly.
SSL Error rx record too long-The guide to troubleshooting
More information about this can be obtained through openssl:
openssl s_client -connect yourdomain.tld:*port*
You may receive the following output, in this case:
Error:140770FC: SSL routines: SSL23 GET SERVER HELLO: Protocol unknown: s23 clnt.c:766:
This indicates a connection was established but the port lacks a configured certificate. So the request is discontinued.
We will show you how to troubleshoot the SSL Error rx record too long problem in the next section of the article.
How to fix error code ssl_error_rx_record_too_long?
Some solutions to the ssl error rx record too long issue are below.
Solution 1: Connect using HTTP
Replace the https:/ with http:/ at the URL to try and circumvent the security protocol. If this does not work then proceed to the next solution.
Solution 2: Firefox reboot
Resetting Firefox to original settings will help eliminate any undesirable programmes.
- In the address bar enter ‘about: support.’
- A window for troubleshooting opens. Click Firefox Refresh and confirm.
- If it still isn’t working, proceed to the next solution.
Solution 3: Firefox update
- Go to the menu opens > Help > About.
- You will be taken to a window where you will disclose if your Firefox is up to date.
- Click ‘Restart to Update Firefox’ if an update is available.
- Once done, try loading the website. Should it still not work, move to the next solution.
Solution 4: Deactivate all extensions
Some extensions are coded to connect via the HTTPS protocol at all times so that they might interfere with your connection. Disabling them could fix that problem.
- Go to Open Menu > Accessories.
- Click on Activate next to all the extensions.
- Reboot Firefox and retry to access the website.
Solution 5: Safe Use Mode
- Go to Open Menu > Assist > Restart with Disabled Add-ons.
- Select the options ‘Restart’ and ‘Start into Safe Mode’ in the following windows.
- Reconnect to website intended.
Solution 6: Buy a Trusted SSL Certificate
If none of these solutions work for you, there may be something wrong with the SSL certificate on the website. If you’re the webmaster, buying a reliable and trustworthy SSL certificate can help you avoid this issue or fix it.
I hope this article has helped you understand and troubleshoot the SSL Error rx record too long error.