When you’re starting a new business, one of the most important things you can do is secure your domain name. A secured domain name will protect your company’s online identity and help you establish credibility with potential customers. However, securing a domain name is an investment, and there are different factors to consider when making that decision. In this article, we’ll explore whether or not now is the right time to buy SSL for your domain.
What is SSL and why should you buy it?
SSL is a security protocol that helps protect your web traffic from being intercepted by third parties. It’s especially important to buy SSL when you’re setting up a new website because not all browsers support it. By buying SSL, you’re ensuring that any data sent to and from your site is protected from prying eyes.
Pros and Cons of buying SSL
If you’re in the market for a domain name and are considering purchasing an SSL certificate, here are some pros and cons to consider.
- A Secure Site: When you purchase an SSL certificate, your site becomes more secure. Anyone who tries to view your site with an insecure connection will be unable to see the information on your site.
- Increased Revenues: Purchasing an SSL certificate can help increase your website’s revenue. People may be hesitant to visit your site if they don’t know it’s secure, which could lead to decreased traffic. Purchasing an SSL certificate can also help protect your site from being hacked.
- Better branding: A well-secured website looks more professional and can give your business a better image. Purchasing an SSL certificate also makes it easier for people to trust your website.
- Higher cost:SSL certificates can be expensive, but they’re worth the investment if you want your site to be secure. You may also have to pay for renewal dates, depending on the type of certificate you buy.
- Time required:SSL certificates require time to set up and activate. It may take a few hours or
How to buy SSL
Many people ask whether they should buy SSL certificates now or later. The answer depends on your business and website.
If you have a small website with no sensitive data, you can probably skip buying SSL certificates. However, if you have a website that collects personal information, such as credit card numbers or social security numbers, then you should definitely buy SSL certificates.
Another factor to consider is your website’s traffic. If your website receives a lot of traffic from outside the United States, then it’s important to buy SSL certificates that protect your data from U.S. spying agencies. Conversely, if your website receives a low amount of traffic from outside the United States, then it’s not worth purchasing SSL certificates.
Finally, it’s important to think about how long you plan to keep your website online. If you expect your website to last only six months or less, then it doesn’t make sense to spend money on SSL certificates. However, if you anticipate your website will last more than six months, then buying SSL certificates may be a good investment.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the decision of when to buy SSL depends on a variety of factors specific to your business. However, buying SSL now might give you some peace of mind in the event that your website is hacked or someone attempts to steal your customers’ data. Additionally, it can help improve your ranking in search engines and attract visitors who are more likely to convert into paying customers. So while there isn’t a definitive answer, my advice would be to consider buying SSL now if you haven’t already.