How To Update My SSL Certificate? – Before We Get Into The Topic, let’s Learn Some Basic Of This Topic
HOW TO RENEW THE SSL CERTIFICATE FOR MY WEBSITE?
The use of an SSL certificate to secure a website is simple and inexpensive. It increases customer confidence in your website. SSL certificates, on the other hand, expire after their validity period, which ranges from 1-2 years.
The SSL Certificate must be renewed when it expires. Renewal of an SSL certificate is, in fact, similar to purchasing a new one. SSL renewal is a straightforward procedure.
The SSL Renewal process is an important part of the overall SSL process, but there are a few things to keep in mind when renewing an SSL Certificate, one of which is the time period. So if you have only a few days left for your certificate to complete make sure to renew the SSL certificate as soon as possible. We all know that an SSL certificate is a trust seal, and we’d like to freeze that trust among our users, so renewing SSL certificates before they expire is critical.
What happens if you forget to renew your w SSL Certificate?
If you forget to renew the SSL Certificate, a pop-up is displayed in the Web Browser showing a message as “The site’s security certificate has expired” to the user visiting the site.
SSL Certificate Renewal
A site with no SSL Certificate can be prone to attack and the information could be tampered with or stolen in transit, to understand how to read our article on the Risk of Not Having an SSL Certificate
So what needs to be done so that the website is secured again?
(Simple: Renew your SSL Certificate and secure the website from dangerous pop up that displays in the web browser)
STEPS TO RENEW SSL CERTIFICATE
The process of SSL certificate renewal is the same as purchasing a new one. Follow the below steps to renew SSL Certificate:
- Generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) (CSR)
- Select your SSL certificate
- Select the validity (1-year or 2-year) (1-year or 2-year)
- Fill up all important data
- Click on the Continue button
- Review your SSL order
- Make the payment
Deploy your SSL certificate on the server. (In case, you are facing a problem in installing we are Happy to help! We provide a free Technical Assistant.
Now is the time to renew your SSL certificate.
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND DURING RENEWAL
- Please keep in mind that during the renewal of the SSL certificate information needs re-validated.
- That means you’ll need to complete the DCV (Domain Control Validation) step through one of the methods such as email. HTTPS validation or DNS based validation selected throughout the activation process
- If you have an OV (Organization Validation) or EV (Extended Validation) certificate, the company information will be double-checked, and the necessary documents will be resubmitted to the CA (Certificate Authority)
- After a successful renewal, the certificate will be emailed to you. For the renewal to take effect, you must first install it on your server.
There’s also a broad question like:
Is a new CSR required when renewing SSL?
Yes, you’ll need to generate a new CSR/RSA pair each time you renew your subscription, and you’ll need to save your RSA for the installation process.
If you are unable to generate CSRs on your own, have your web hosting provider do so for you.
After that, you can move on to the next steps, but remember to use the same contact information you used when you first applied for an OV/EV SSL certificate, as this will save you time during the renewal process.
What is the time frame for renewing an SSL Certificate?
It’s crucial to know how long it takes to renew an SSL certificate. The time it takes to renew an SSL Certificate is the same as it takes to purchase a new SSL Certificate. It does not contain any unique steps; instead, it consists of a series of similar steps.
The time it takes to issue a Renew SSL Certificate is determined by some factors. So, the time period given below may vary if the proper validation does not happen properly.
- If you are Renewing Domain Validation (DV) SSL Certificate then it may take about 1-2 hours to issue.
- Renewing Organization Validation (OV) SSL Certificate then it may take about 4-5 Days to issue.
- Renewing Extended Validation (EV) SSL Certificate then it may take about 1-2 weeks to issue.
Why do SSL Certificates Expire?
There have been long debates regarding – why long-life certificates don’t exist or in a simple form why do SSL certificates expire?
The answer to this question is “Security”. A shorter life certificate helps mitigate compromises of keys, as new keys are generated every time. Also, to ensure all certificates are using the latest security standards.
How do I know when my SSL certificate expires?
Many times, it’s hard to remember the expiry date of the certificate and fails to renew it on time. Don’t worry, there’s a tool called SSL Checker that can tell you whether or not your SSL Certificate is valid.
Users who purchase from Https. do not have to check the certificate’s expiration date regularly. They are notified every 90, 60, and 30 days before the SSL certificate expires.
What should I do if my SSL certificate has expired?
SSL Certificates, as we all know, expire when their validity time has passed. To avoid having an SSL certificate expire, the website owner or anyone with website authority can simply renew the SSL certificate.
How to Restore an Expired SSL Certificate?
- Select the most appropriate SSL certificate for your website.
- Choose a valid option (1-year or 2-year)
- Select “Renew Now” from the drop-down menu.
- Complete all required fields.
- Continue by pressing the Enter key.
- Examine your SSL purchase.
- Pay the invoice.
- Register for your SSL Certificate.
- Last but not least, install your SSL certificate on the server.
- You may fix your expired SSL Certificate and re-secure your website by following the instructions above.