It is very easy & cost-effective to secure a website using an SSL certificate. It enhances customer trust in your website. However, after its validity period is over, which is from 1-2 years, the SSL certificates do expire.
Upon the expiry of the SSL Certificate it must be renewed. Indeed the SSL certificate renewal is similar to buying a new one. SSL renovation is an easy & simple process.
SSL Renewal process is an important part of the entire SSL process but there are certain things that need to be followed while the SSL Certificate is being renewed, one of them being the time period. So if you only have a few days left to complete your certificate make sure that the SSL certificate is renewed as soon as possible. It is very important to renew SSL certificates before the expiry date, because we all know that an SSL certificate is a trust seal and we would certainly like to freeze this trust among our users.
If you forget to renew SSL Certificate, what happens?
If you forget to renew the SSL Certificate, a pop-up will appear in the Web Browser showing a message to the user visiting the site as “Security Certificate of the site has expired.”
The website without an SSL certificate could be vulnerable to attack and the information may be exploited or stolen during transit to understand how to read our article about the danger of not getting an SSL certificate
So what does it need to do to secure the website again?
(Simple: renew your SSL Certificate and protect the website from the dangerous web browser display)
Steps to SSL Certificate Renewal
The method of renewing SSL certificates is similar to purchasing a new one. Follow the steps below for renewing your SSL Certificate:
- Generate a Submission for Signing Certificates (CSR)
- Choose your SSL Certificate
- Select the validity (1- or 2-year period)
- Fill in all needed details
- Click the Follow button
- Check your SSL order
- Make the Payment
- Deploy your Server SSL certificate. (In case you face an installation problem, we ‘re happy to help! We ‘re providing a free Technical Assistant.
Things To Keep In Mind During Renewal
- Please bear in mind that information needs re-validated during the renewal of the SSL certificate.
- Which means you’ll need to complete the DCV (Domain Control Validation) stage through one of the methods like emailing. Validation by HTTPS or DNS dependent, selected during the activation process
- If you have an OV (Organization Validation) or EV (Extended Validation) certificate, the company details will once again be checked and the required documentation will be resubmitted to CA (Certificate Authority).
- After successful renewal the certificate will be sent to you by email. You will then install it for renewal on your server
People also search for:
How long does it take to renew SSL Certificate?
It’s important to know how long does renew SSL Certificate takes. The time period taken for the renew SSL Certificate is the same as buying a new SSL Certificate. There are no different steps in it, just follow similar steps.
The time taken for issuance of the Renew SSL Certificate depends on many factors. So, the time period given below may vary if the proper validation does not happen properly.
- If you are Renewing Domain Validation (DV) SSL Certificate then it may take about 1-2 hours to issue.
- Renewing Organization Validation (OV) SSL Certificate then it may take about 4-5 Days to issue.
- Renewing Extended Validation (EV) SSL Certificate then it may take about 1-2 weeks to issue.
Do I need a new CSR when renewing SSL?
The answer is yes, Each time you opt for a renewal, you’ll need to generate a new CSR/RSA pair & required to save your RSA for the further installation process.
If in case you are not able to generate CSR yourself, ask your web hosting provider to do this for you.
Once done, you can proceed with the next steps but please use the same contact information that you used previously while getting an OV/EV SSL certificate as this will save you some time during the renewal process
Why do SSL Certificates Expire?
There have been long debates regarding – why long-life certificates don’t exist or in a simple form why do SSL certificates expire?
The answer to this question is “Security”. Shorter life certificate helps in mitigate compromises of keys, as new keys are generated every time. Also, to ensure all certificates are using the latest security standards.
How do I know when my SSL certificate expires?
Many times, it’s hard to remember the expiry date of the certificate and fails to renew it on time. Don’t worry there is a tool known as SSL Checker – helps you to know whether the SSL Certificate is expired or not.
If users purchase from Https.in than they don’t have to check the expiration of certificate every time. As they are notified every 90,60,30 days before the expiry date of SSL certificate.