What is Heartbleed Bug?
The Heartbleed Bug is a serious weakness that allows a hacker to reduce managing risks, the processing speed of the system, it also brings down the transmission of data. This weakness interrupts further to allow the hacker to access information that is protected by the SSL(Secure Socket Layer) encryption. This encryption is used to maintain internet security, overall the confidential communications in and out of the web browser and the webserver. This encryption helps to protect Emails, Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), and Instant Messaging (IM).
Heartbleed bug – A Major Concern:
By the time, it took for the people to realize that all the sensitive information and communication are safe and secure from hackers and cybercriminals. Heartbleed Vulnerability knocked down the sense of security. the cost of dealing with Heartbleed has run into millions of dollars globally. Another set of problems in the same software was found in June 2014, which further required a remedy by system administrators.
Heartbleed bug exposes the information that SSL attempts to protect.
It is a very serious privacy threat on machines designed to power a variety of services that are only meant to transmit 100% secure data. few examples of such are yahoo mail, Gmail, etc and some of the social networking sites like Facebook.
How it is vulnerable:
- The Heartbleed bug has a high vulnerability in the OpenSSL software library.
- This is also called the OpenSSL vulnerability.
- OpenSSL implements the SSL encryption protocol which is used to protect the privacy of communication through the Internet.
- OpenSSL is applied and used on almost all websites.
- It is also used in emails, Instant messaging, etc. the hackers use certain versions of OpenSSL, to read the memory of the host system.
- This allows access of all the personal information like usernames and passwords.
- This also allows the access of the private key of the server to interfere all communications on the host system.
Heartbleed Vulnerability Scanner:
Heartbleed vulnerability scanner helps in Heartbleed bug detection to respond to OpenSSL risks in the environment you are working in.
- It helps to scan Web, IMA, POP3, SMTP, FTP, and XMPP services for Heartbleed vulnerabilities.
- It also helps in Heartbleed vulnerability testing in Windows OpenVPN and Linux operating systems.
Ways to resolve the vulnerability:
The result of this vulnerability allows the hacker to insert a process between the browser and the server, called Man-in-the-Middle, and may be able to modify traffic between a web browser and web server. Here is a list of some precautions that helps you to prevent this vulnerable attack
- Change your password.
- Create a password that cannot be predictable.
- For every single account, create a different password
- Avoid entering into websites that seems to be vulnerable to this threat.