CERTIFICATE SIGNING REQUEST (CSR) GENERATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR CPANEL 11
The instructions in this paper will walk you through the process of creating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for use with cPanel 11. When following these steps for your server, Symantec suggests that you contact the server vendor or the organization that provides cPanel support for assistance.
It is important to note that to produce a CSR, you will first need to build a key pair for your server. These two objects are part of a digital certificate key pair, and they are not compatible with each other. If you lose your public/private key file or your password and re-generate them, your SSL Certificate will no longer match the information in the file.
To build a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) file using cPanel 11, please follow the steps listed below:
- Generating the Private Key (Step 1) (KEY)
- To access the cPanel ‘Control Panel,’ login with your username and password.
- Under the Security section, select SSL / TLS Manager from the drop-down menu.
- To generate, view, upload, or delete your private keys, select the appropriate link from the drop-down menu.
- When the page loads, look for the section labeled “Generate a New Key.” Choose the domain name from the drop-down option, or type the domain name directly into the Host area to get started.
- Choose a key bit-length of 2048 as the default.
- To generate a new document, click the Generate button.
- Return to the SSL Manager by clicking the Return to SSL Manager link.
- When the page has finished loading, click the Go Back button. This will take you to the “SSL/TLS Manager” page, which is where you want to be.
Creating a Certificate Signing Request is the second step (CSR)
Select the Generate, view, or delete SSL certificate signing requests link from the drop-down menu.
When the page loads, type the following into the text box:
- Host – From the pull-down option, select the fully qualified domain name that you want to use as your host (Common Name)
- Country – To refer to a country, use the two-letter code without any punctuation, for example, the US or CA.
- Completely describe the condition of a person’s mind. The name of the state or province should not be abbreviated like in the following: California.
- City – Enter the name of the city in which your organization has been officially registered. Please do not shorten your sentences.
- Company – Type in the name of the company. If the name of your firm or department contains a &, @, or any other symbol that makes use of the shift key, you should consider changing it.
- To enroll, you must either spell out the symbol or leave it out entirely. For example, XY & Z Corporation would be spelled XYZ Corporation or XY and Z Corporation, respectively.
- Division of the company – This field contains the name of the department or organizational unit that is making the request. As an illustration: IT
- Email – Please provide your email address.
- Pass Phrase – Type in the passphrase for the private key.
To generate a new document, click the Generate button.
To return to the previous page, click the Back button.