Ransom. Malwarebytes has identified ransomware as Malwarebytes’ detection term for ransomware. This is malware that holds files and systems hostage in exchange for ransom.
Typically, users will receive a notification (ransom note) that a threat actor has taken control of the system or the files. The ransom note will usually explain how to pay, what it is for, and how long users must pay before files are deleted.
Type and source
Ransomware is malware that blocks users from accessing their files or systems and demands ransom payments to gain access.
Ransomware is most commonly spread by the following infection vectors:
Malicious spam emails (malspam) that contain booby-trapped PDFs or Office documentsExploit kit via malvertising (drive-by download)
Malwarebytes protects users from ransomware by using its anti-ransomware technology and real-time protection.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove ransomware automatically without user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click setup.exeFollow the prompts to install it.
- YourMalwarebytes WindowsOnce installation is complete, the program will open to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click the get started click here
- ClickTale a look at the scan to start a threat Scan.
- ClickQuarantineTo removes any threats found.
- If the removal is not completed, reboot the system.
However, removing ransomware will not unlock your files. Malwarebytes Ransomware Rollback technology or backups made before the infection occurred are your only options to get your files back.